Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency
UX research, service design, digital transformation
The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) is an executive agency of the UK Department for Transport (DfT). It carries out driving tests, approves driving instructors, commercial vehicle operators and MOT testers. DVSA also conducts roadside checks on drivers and vehicles.
UX Researcher and Design Lead. Part of BJSS embedded Dev-ops team supporting DVSA’s internal Digital Delivery Lead, Service Design Manager and UK Traffic Commissioners.
Understand reasons for low digital adoption rates among vehicle operator licensees. Offer recommendations aligned with departmental targets and strategic goals around value for money, customer experience and road safety.
My contribution at a glance:
- facilitated stakeholder workshops
- reviewed legacy research
- developed stakeholder mapping
- conducted value-based user-segmentation
- aggregated public datasets to gain deeper understanding of user segments
- interviewed vehicle operators on-site
- mapped five-year vehicle operator license service lifecycle
- trends and risk analysis (ie; Brexit, autonomous vehicles, demographic cliff)
- developed personas for user segments
- worked on Jira tasks with dev team to gain further insight into user journey
- developed question set and conducted telephone survey
- produced impact posters for DVSA workspace
- synthesised findings and produced recommendation report for Traffic Commissioners
Tools: Adobe CC, Sketch, Omnigraffle, Office 365, G-suite, Trello, Confluence, Jira, GDS
What we learned and what we achieved:
- gained deeper insight of operator licence service lifecycle and user segments
- challenged previously held assumptions about digital competency
- ensured GDS compliance for operator licence application journey
- facilitated 100% channel shift from paper to digital and assisted digital channels
- cost savings allow expansion of assisted digital team
Paul Fillingham - Your digital partner
Supporting cultural heritage, arts, education and research projects. Digital consultancy, art direction, planning, design, hosting and media publication. Accredited training, workshops and presentations - please contact in confidence to discuss your requirements.
+44 (0) 7515 688 328